Tortilla Pizza Recipe
Time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 1.00
12 small corn or flour tortillas
Vegetable oil or margarine
1 (16oz) can refried beans
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 ounces fresh or canned green chili peppers, diced
6 Tbsp red taco sauce
3 cups chopped vegetables, such as broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, and bell peppers
1/2 cup (2oz) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
1. Brush one side of each of two tortillas with water.
2. Press the wet sides of the tortillas together to from a thick crust for the pizza.
3. Brush the outside of the tortillas with a small amount of oil or margarine.
4. Evenly brown both sides in a heated frying pan. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas. Set aside.
5. Heat refried beans, chopped onion, and half of the diced chili peppers together in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove from heat.
7. Spread about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture on each tortilla pizza.
8. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of taco sauce, then top with 1/2 cup of the chopped vegetables, 1 teaspoon of diced chili peppers, and 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese for each pizza.
9. Return to frying pan and heat until cheese melts.
10. Top with cilantro, if desired.
11. Serve immediately.
Serving Size 1 pizza
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 60
% Daily Value (DV)*
Total Fat | 7g | 11%
Saturated Fat | 2g | 8%
Trans Fat | 0g | 0%
Cholesterol | 5mg | 2%
Sodium | 370mg | 15%
Total Carbohydrate | 42g | 14%
Dietary Fiber | 7g | 28%
Sugars | 2g
Protein | 9g
Vitamin A | 30%
Vitamin C | 30%
Calcium | 15%
Iron | 15%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).