Served as an entrée this healthy mouth watering turkey burger is high in protein with just the right amount of spices and a kick of sweet cranberries. All served on whole wheat or whole grain buns. It is delicious and nutritious in an appetizing new way to get kids to eat healthy.
Service Size: 2 oz
Medium grain brown rice - 1/2 cup
Vegetable oil - 1 T
Yellow onions, minced - 2 T
Garlic, minced - 1 sm clove
Celery, washed and minced - 1 small stalk
Lean ground turkey - 16 oz
Dried cranberries, rough chopped - 2 T
Spinach leaf, well washed, drained, stems removed, chopped - 3/4 cup
Eggs - 2 large
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
Worschestershire Sauce - 1 tsp
Crushed red pepper - 1 scant pinch
- Wash and sanitize hands, utensils and all equipment to be used.
- To cook rice: follow package instructions for cooking brown rice. When cooked, transfer to a plate and cool completely in refrigerator. This can be done up to a full day ahead.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet sauté onions, celery and garlic in oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer to refrigerator and cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients including cooked rice and cooked onion mixture and mix well.
- Portion into 2.5 oz patties the diameter of buns onto a parchment lined baking pan. Bake at 350F for 12-18 minutes (time will vary depending on oven. Use a thermometer to check starting at 12 minutes) until turkey is at an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Avoid overcooking – the lean turkey will dry out if cooked too long.
- Serve on mini whole grain rolls with optional lettuce, tomato, red onion and condiments.
Each serving provides:
Calories - 163
From Fat - 30%
From Saturated Fat - 4%
From Sugar - 5 g%
Sodium - 216mg
Recipe Source: Recipes for Healthy Kids